CONTROL OF DOGS REGULATIONS, 1998
CONTROL OF DOGS REGULATIONS, 1998
The Minister for the Environment and Local Government, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 5 , 7 , 11 , 19 , 25 , 28 and 31 of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 (No. 32 of 1986), as amended by sections 3, 5, 8, and 10 of the Control of Dogs (Amendment) Act, 1992 (No. 13 of 1992), hereby makes the following Regulations:—
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Control of Dogs Regulations, 1998.
2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of February, 1999.
3. In these Regulations:—
(1) "the Act" means the Control of Dogs Act, 1986 .
(2) any reference to a Schedule or article, which is not otherwise identified, is a reference to a Schedule or article of these Regulations.
(3) any reference to a sub-article, which is not otherwise identified, is a reference to the sub-article of the article in which the reference occurs.
(4) a reference to any enactment shall be construed as a reference to that enactment as amended or adapted by any subsequent enactment.
4. The Regulations specified in the First Schedule are hereby revoked.
Leashing and Muzzling
5. (1) This article shall apply to every:—
(a) American Pit Bull Terrier,
(b) Bull Mastiff,
(c) Doberman Pinscher,
(d) English Bull Terrier,
(e) German Shepherd (Alsatian),
(f) Japanese Akita,
(g) Japanese Tosa,
(h) Rhodesian Ridgeback,
(j) Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and
to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog), and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.
(2) A person shall not permit a dog to which this article applies to be in a public place unless such dog is:—
(i) securely muzzled; and
(ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.
Identification of ownership of Dogs
6. (1) The owner or other person in charge of a dog shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon, or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.
(2) No person shall in any manner alter, deface, mutilate or render illegible the particulars prescribed under sub-article (1) to be inscribed on a collar to be worn by a dog, or on a plate, badge or disc to be attached thereto, nor shall any person allow a dog to wear a collar, or a plate, badge or disc attached thereto, which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or rendered illegible as aforesaid or upon which the particulars have become illegible.
(3) A breach of any provision of this article shall be an offence to which section 28(1) of the Act applies.
Exemptions from certain requirements
7. Articles 5 and 6 shall not apply to a dog which is:—
(1) (a) kept by the Garda Siochana or by the Defence Forces,
(b) kept by the Dublin Port and Docks Board Harbour Police or by an Airport Police Fire Service at a State Airport,
(c) kept by the Central Fisheries Board or a Regional Fisheries Board,
(d) kept by the Customs and Excise service of the Revenue Commissioners,
and which is being used by a member, constable, officer or official of the said bodies in the execution of their respective duties, or,
(2) (a) used by a bona fide rescue team for the purpose of searching for a missing person or being trained for such searching, or,
(b) being trained by a bona fide training establishment for use by a person who is unable to find their way without guidance, or, having been so trained, is being used for the purpose of guidance by such a person.
Exemption from holding a licence
8. A licence shall not be required in respect of a dog kept by:—
(a) a member or officer of the Defence Forces, or
(b) an official of the Customs and Excise service of the Revenue Commissioners,
and used wholly in the execution of official duties.
9. (1) Form No. 1 set out in the Second Schedule shall be the prescribed form of dog licence under the Act.
(2) Form No. 2 set out in the Second Schedule shall be the prescribed form of general dog licence under the Act.
(3) Form No. 3 set out in the Second Schedule shall be the prescribed form of notice for the purpose of Section 28(1) of the Act.
(4) Form No. 4 set out in the Second Schedule shall be the prescribed form of declaration for the purpose of section 11(5)(b) of the Act.
(5) Form No. 5 set out in the Second Schedule shall be the prescribed form of notice for the purpose of section 25(2) of the Act.
Prescribed amount for certain offences
10. The prescribed amount for the purpose of Section 28(1) of the Act shall be £25.
Number and Year
S.I. No. 30 of 1987
Control of Dogs Regulations, 1987
S.I. No. 59 of 1987
Control of Dogs (No. 2) Regulations, 1987
S.I. No. 123 of 1991
Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulations, 1991
S.I. No. 146 of 1991
Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) (Amendment) Regulations, 1991
S.I. No. 295 of 1996
Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) (Amendment) Regulations, 1996
FORM NO. 1
CONTROL OF DOGS ACT, 1986